Saturday, October 6, 2012

1st Letter from the MTC

Hello Family!

We were asked to write this as a first, "I'm okay" letter. So, the first day went really well for me. All the missionaries were saying, "just make it till Sunday." So, I don't know if something crazy is about to hit that I'm not aware of, or if it's just going well for me.

The first day of class, my teacher spoke in all Spanish and....I....understood basically everything. I feel comfortable in that class, which probably means I will be forcibly made uncomfortable in the near future.

In the introduction meeting with President Brown, he was looking around the room and said, "This young man with the light blue tie, will you come up?" So I go up there and he asks the following questions:
  • Where are you from? (Answer received laughs)
  • How far do you live from here? (more laughs)
  • Are your grandfathers both emeritus general authorities?
  • Do you know who I am, because I know who you are...
  • Tell us about your mission call opening.
So, I was up there for about 2 minutes. I know they make a big deal of not comparing each other in here, but I hope that little experience hasn't intimidated any of my district.

So, my companion...he has clearly had a really tough life. I'm not exactly sure how I can help him yet. Right now, I just try to get him to talk about stuff.  He's been a member for 13 months. He wanted to go on a mission before he was even baptized. He's super excited to be here, and I think that part of that may be due to the chance to leave his previous situations. He's a bit of a different guy, but he is excited to be here and excited to work. He had a Cuban step-mom (I think) so he knows a bit of Spanish already. He said he also was able to keep up with what the teacher was saying in Spanish.

Thank you so much for everything. I'm so happy. I still feel good about everything, and I don't see how that could change. The second they threw that name tag on, I felt official. We'll be meeting the Branch Presidency tonight, and apparently they are amazing. I think I might be able to write again on Saturday. We shall see.

Love you soooooo much!

Elder (underlined 5 times!) Tanner Christensen


Psych. I'm going to write more. I've been made the district leader of our district. Our district is pretty cool. We have 12 people. We've got people going to Arcadia; Fort Worth; San Jose, California; and El Salvador. I don't fully understand what I'm meant to do for my district, but I'm humbled by the call.

We had our first discussion today. I understood everything the investigator said. I struggled responding, though. But for the first lesson, I think it went pretty well.

I've had a bit of a headache from not sleeping very well, but I'm getting through. The days have felt pretty long, but it's still cool. I slept a lot better last night.

I've seen Aaron a few times, Seth a few times, Victor a few times, and more than anyone, Morgan. We talked today about taking a picture by Grandpa and Grandma's portrait.

Homesickness hasn't been a problem. Hopefully that's not offensive. I'm glad that's not a problem for me. As far as I can tell, nobody in my district is struggling. Keep praying for us.

Adios, y ¡buenas suerte!

Elder Tanner Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment