Monday, July 1, 2013

A Cool Week (but not in temperature!)

Hello friends and family!  This week was a cool one. (but not in temperature)  Thank you to all the friends and family for the emails.  Have tons of fun at all the summer reunions that are coming up.  It has been stinking hot here this week.  I assume it's nothing like what Jacob, Morgan, and all others are going through, but this is the first time in my mission that I have just been too hot.  I inherited a camelback from a missionary that's coming in handy.  (so yes, Mom, I'm staying hydrated)
 
So like I've described in the past few weeks, stuff has been going a little bit slow.  Stuff just wasn't really coming together, appointments were dropping all over the place, etc.  This week, it went much better.  We were able to hit the majority of our goals this week, which was definitely motivating.
 
So this first week as a district leader has been pretty cool.  So embarassing:  my first district meeting, I totally forgot my notes at home.  I was, luckily, able to remember all the scripture references and I was still able to pull everything back together, but it was way too stressful those first few minutes.  I've definitely felt the weight of the calling sinking in.  Our whole district has had a tough time the last few weeks.  Our area has the most latinos in it, so there's a little extra stress to have successful weeks.  Having a week like this week that went well eased a lot of the stress.
 
Unfortunately, Antonia dropped us.  I'm still not exactly sure what the problem is.  She felt like her whole life was getting thrown around and she wasn't really trying any of the suggestions we were giving her.  We took about an hour trying to explain how all this would help, but she just felt too busy to do any of it.  That one definitely hurt.  She told us to check back with her in September.  I think all this falling away stemmed from a comment from a family member, "You're only studying with them because you're lonely."  When she told us that a family member said that, I was stunned.  I think that comment just made her question everything.  It'll all work out.
 
We picked up some cool people this week.  There isn't anybody in particular that has the mentality of "baptize me now!" but I think we can work with them to get them there.
 
The Adversary is working on Elvia.  She missed church AGAIN.  We're super bummed about that one.  She still doesn't have the Holy Ghost.  She's still committed, just all this little stuff keeps getting in the way on Sundays.
 
This week, in addition to all the cool investigator stuff, we spent a lot of time with ward members.  There has been all kinds of crazy stuff going on recently.  The faith of some of the strongest members has been shaken.  We witnessed a lot of tears this week.  I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father cares enough for these people to bring scriptures to our mind to share with these people -- even when we haven't looked at those scriptures in months.  I'm still working on the purification thing, and I'm starting to see little changes.  I definitely have a long way to go, though.
 
Thanks, as always, for all the love and support.  I'm having a great time and my district is stacked.  Cool stuff is going to happen here in the very near future.
 
Love you all!
 
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment