Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week 8


Hello family and friends.  It's been a very interesting week.  First off, thank you to Mom, Dad, Emmy, Elder Morgan Evans, Vanessa W, and Bro Moulton for the letters.  I've heard about many Young Women getting mission calls.  Congrats to all of you!
 
So first, let me explain some stuff that's been going on with me.  I was sick for a whole week 2 weeks ago, and now I'm sick again with almost the same thing.  Last time, I didn't talk to the Mission President's wife at all and was just letting Dayquil and Nyquil take care of the problem for me.  This time, I called her and her suggestions have been helping me feel better much quicker.  Hopefull by Wednesday I'll be back to 100%.  I weighed myself for the first time since leaving the MTC this week.  In the MTC, I gained 10 lbs, and now...wait for it...I'm up another 10 lbs.  In my defense, I have been working out like never before in my life, so I'd like to think that it's at least half muscle.  My pants are still fitting fine.  Also, Mom you always said that if my hair got too short it would just stick up everywhere.  Well now we never have to wonder whether or not that was true.  I got a haircut and using the words of a member of my district "You look like a baby bald eagle."  The skinny neck probably doesn't help that image at all.  We had a good laugh over that.  So ya, that's me.
 
Elder Flores and Elder Park are doing well.  Elder Park is having some problems, and I'm doing my best to help him with that.  I feel like he's in this particular companionship for a reason.  He's kind of a reserved person, so I don't know how much he wants my help.  We consider every time we get him to laugh to be a victory.  Laughing really helps the situation a lot.  Knowing how frustrated he must feel with all this, I don't know how much to put on him.  We are going to Arcadia today to talk with President.  Hopefully that will help him.
 
So the biggest news of the week comes from a guy I haven't talked about in a while.  We have still been meeting with Armando about once a week.  After a really good talk we had this past week, he has finally accepted a baptismal date.  He will be getting married to the long-time girlfriend and be getting baptized on Feb 17.  Now, what makes this date so cool:  There is an Hermano in our ward that is a convert of a little over a year.  He will be going through the temple on Feb 16.  The missionary that baptized this Hermano is coming to the temple with him.  This same missionary is Armando's favorite out of all of them, so it looks like this missionary will be able to baptized him! (this may have played a role in Armando finally accepting the date)  We are so happy.
 
We are still waiting for Rosa's papers.  She needs the papers so that she and Raul can get married.  It's kinda hard to give them a date while everything is out of our hands.  Rosa made arrangements with her supervisor to work the morning shift on Sundays and leave a little early so she can come to church!  Yesterday she was able to come and she loved it!
 
Janet is still progressing well.  We have her baptism date set for 2 weeks from now, and she will definitely be ready.
 
I don't know if I mentioned this, but Armando brought a friend to church a few weeks back.  His name is Javier and he works at El Tepayac (Man v Food guy ate there.  Javier might be able to hook us up)  He has a baptism date too and is progressing well.  He learns a little bit slower than others, but he's keeping all his commitments. 
 
So this week was pretty great.  Looking back, we had appointments dropping like flies.  We found a few new people that have potential, but we had very little success other than the progression of our current progressing investigators.  Also, there were 3 baptisms right before I got here.  2 of the 3 are less active now and 2 of the 3 are having Word of Wisdom problems again.  I know that help from the ward is what they need, but we just need to coordinate specifics with them a bit more.
 
So there's my week.  Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.  Scriptures of the week are Alma 22:16 and Ether 12:4.  If you feel like you are low on hope, apply this scripture.  Also, as always, if you are reading this, then you probably have time to kill, so go read the Book of Mormon.  I hear it's a pretty good book.
 
Love you all!
 
Elder Tanner Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment